What can you do?
Advocates recommend Chicagoans take these actions to help ensure the future of regional water:
- Disconnect downspouts and install a rain barrel to use to capture water for watering your lawn or washing your car. Buy a $40 rain barrel at mwrd.org or to the Department of Environment Web site at cityofchicago.org for more information.
- Go to Metersave.org and to set up a time for them to install a water meter in your home.
- Don’t use automatic sprinklers. Turn sprinklers on only as needed and at night when water is better able to seep into the ground.
- Report pried-open fire hydrants by calling 3-1-1 to have fire crews close them.
- More conservation tips are at the Department of Water Management, the Center for Green Technology and the Department of Environment’s websites at cityofchicago.org.
- Urge legislators to support the Green Reserve to help secure future funding for sustainable water infrastructure projects.